Monday, April 5, 2010

I Am Not a Jane Austen Addict

Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was created by MckMama. You can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have not been doing this week.

***Please read the following with an British accent***


I did not watch a romantic period movie while my husband was gone this weekend. I would not do that. A woman's duty is to watch well to the ways of her household and I would not let things go awry while the master of the house is gone.

I most certainly did not go on to youtube.com and find yet another Jane Austen film to watch. Actions of that kind show a weakness of character and a wavering constitution. I am the soul of discretion and act accordingly.

I would not clap my hands with giddy excitement as I would encounter yet another wonderful dance scene. Acting in such a way is quite childish and would reflect badly on my upbringing. I never bring dishonour on my mother's good name and her hard work, despite what others may say.

And I certainly would not stay up late at night to watch how things turn out, despite the fact that when I started I realized it was a four hour saga and knew it would take until dawn to finish. I am a wise young woman who knows that I have duties to perform in the morning and therefore would not be found staying up late regaling myself with stories involving matters of the heart. It is simply not to borne on one like myself.

And yet, while I may have, at one time, thought myself to be rather attached to the idea of watching the dance scene over again, I let that idea pass. It simply would not do to have me show such a feebleness of character as to indulge in something so ridiculous. I never do anything ridiculous.

I would never do something as ridiculous as to post the dance number, here and now, for the world to see in the hopes that you, too, would join me in my selfish indulgence. I would never do that. I have too high of a regard for you. I would never do anything to injure you.

Never!


Well....A thousand pardons, but I must share. (I hope this does not show a fickleness of character?)


11 comments:

Camie said...

Ahh...No judgments here! Allie you make me laugh! Wait till you read my not me Monday - let's just say I used/blamed the kids this time - that doesn't show a flaw in character does it? lol

Blessings to you dear friend! Many, many blessings!

Camie

P.S You probably won't catch me humming and waltzing around the house today!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I love Jane Austen, too!

His bondservant said...

Great post! Hilarious! I love it because I can SOOOOO relate. I am a Jane Austen fan to the max! Oh, have you tried Dickens as well? The BBC version of Little Dorrit, Bleak House, and our Mutual Friend? Dickens is obviously not the romantic that Jane is...and they don't have those WONDERFUL dance scenes...but you may like it just the same.
Blessings,
Jackie

Tracy said...

Love it. Own it. Downloaded Pride and Prejudice to my IPod this weekend. I needed to hear it while I cleaned. It made me feel less dirty.

I love period movies. I can't be left alone with Netflix for too long. I am so glad to find this out about you!

Unknown said...

I WOULD NOT be a Jane Austen addict either (UH-HUM)! Great post!

halfpint said...

I admit to watching this very movie this last month. I'm glad you are NOT a junkie like me and don't have four copies of most recent Jane Austen movies arriving staggered from the library(at least they better be for the welfare of my family). I'm glad you don't have a new copy of Sanditon and other stories by Everymann's library sitting on your bureau just waiting..... We have all recovered to go back to work, har.

Sissy said...

When the newer version of Pride and Prejudice came out, my husband liked it because of Keira Knightley. Then I borrowed the A&E version of P&P from a friend and he loved that one better because it included so much more of the story! I was shocked that he liked the 5 hour version! I love them both, for different reasons and when we were thinking about naming our daughter (from the failed adoption) I suggested Darcy. He almost went for it.

Miss Ball said...

Lovely!

So lovely that we had to post about you on our own site, like so: http://austenacious.com/?p=1284

Not that we have ANYTHING in common. Not us. No, sir.

(P.S. Enjoy that dance scene. Just one more time. For us.)

Mom's Group said...

Thank to you I am hopelessly hooked on that show!!! It is wonderful!


And I did NOT spend HOURS watching it yesterday!! ; )

redeemed diva said...

Holly,
I am thrilled to have you among this rank of elite youtube watchers! Thank you for understanding what a dance such as this can really start!

emily michelle said...

Came here by way of Austenacious. Thank you for posting that dance scene; it's my favorite part of the new Emma and watching it just now made my tedious work day that much more bearable.