Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A guide to staying off your blog...

...and having a life!
I am not on the internet very much, and yet I have a blog--isn't that a paradox? No, no it's not. But let me tell you the tricks that I use to get lots done on the net and still have a life-maybe some will work for you.

1. Ditch the H1FacebookN1 virus- I think I've made it clear that I dislike Face*book. I know that for some this is a great tool for you, blah, blah,blah.
Here's my beef with FB, I actually think it lulls people into a false sense of relationship with one another. If you want a real friendship with someone, have them over to your house. (yeah, yeah I know...what if they live in Africa? Get a calling card.)
Real relationship is built up over time spent together, memories made and conflicts being resolved. (I also think that conflict is the catalyst for deeper relationship if handled properly, but that's a post for another day). Ditch Facebook if you are on it more than once a day and redeem the time!

2. Put a Time Limit On It- I love being a wife and mom. It's where I want to focus the majority of my time. But I'm easily distracted. (Anybody remember the time where all I did was post what I saw on youtube???!?!) So, time limit's work well for me. I have an hour and a half a day to do my computer stuff. And it's between the hours of 5 am and 7 pm. Once it's 7 pm, I am done with the internet world and on to more important things like hanging out with my husband.

3. Work the Time Limit- Here's the power of pressure. I know I only have an hour and a half and it forces me to be efficient. Often times, I am done all my blog, homeschool searching, emails, etc. within 45-50 minutes. Frees me up to make water xylophones with my kids orbake smooshed cookies.

4. Priorities, Priorities, Priorities-My family is my priority. Making my home a safe haven for memory-making, mistakes and laughter is extremely important to me. Instilling the values and the truth of Jesus is priority numero uno. When answering emails, looking at blogs, I ask myself, "How does this contribute to my family's goals? Does this build me up spiritually? Could I be having fun with my kids right now instead of reading up on macrame?" Knowing my priorities let's me be selective and productive on the internet.

5. Splurge-Internet killed the video star. People can spend hours on the internet in total amusement and caught up in eye candy, the same way people were glued to the TV tube a generation ago. Sometimes it's ok to splurge and take an evening and get caught up on blogs, and surf around and look for random things that you type into google just to be goofy. Every once in a while I get on the net for a few hours and let loose. But don't make it a lifestyle. Make it a splurge! A random occurence! Something you do now and then! Someth--you get the picture.

There you have it! This is what I do to make the most of my time on the internet and still have a life.
What do you do?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

good advice!
i waste far too long online reading blogs...hrmm...:p no like you say i think it's fine in moderation, it's just the amount of times i look up at the clock and can't figure out *where* the last few hours went...it's scary and obv not providing anything of real value.
i think time limits are a great idea - i'm going to force myself to adhere to them in the new year (one of my new year's resolutions=make better use of my time) and i also really like the idea of having a "net-free day" every so often...intentionally, i mean. i think it'd be good - for me, anyway.
good post! great ideas :)
ps i totally agree on the evils of fb. and yet...and yet...i cannot stop checking it. uh, hi, i'm rachel and i'm addicted to inane internet applications...

Christine said...

I'm certain you have written this post for me! And thank-you! Great advice!
I do have time limits on my computer but I weasle my way around them! But maybe I'll try harder as this is definitely something I want to work on. I noticed my computer use is way more when I'm feeling depressed, tired or overwhelmed - What I should be doing is turning to God in prayer and to His word rather then the WWW!
Now Facebook! Wow - I used to HATE it too! But now I'm quite addicted *wince* I know - crazy eh!? I have gotten rid of it several times only to be lured back in...And now the world of blogging has been opened up to me - wow! Where do I even start! And youtube! Oh my goodness! Plus there's keepin up with e-mails - which I love getting...Anyways your post puts me back in perspective. Lord please give me the will power to seek You first, serve You first and to not put anything before You!

I have had this thought at the back of my mind - I don't want my kids growing up thinking I was always on the computer. They know I struggle with using it too much - I want them to see victory as I over come my addiction or lack of discipline. Surely they, their homeschooling, homemaking and my walk with the Lord come first.

Once my daughter cried out to me "mom! If I was in real school, the teacher wouldn't be on Facebook!" ooh I can still feel the sting of shame! Yet here I am daytime - precious kid time on the net.

It has also affected my thought process - I won't ellaborate right now but thanks again - I needed to read those words!

Blessings to you!

TobyLauren said...

Thanks for sharing that - the main reason I didn't start blogging back when I wanted to was so that I wouldn't start READING blogs. Now I find that I keep adding little tidbits to my blog folder...

I'm off to clean my house. The magazine is printing, and I can breathe for a minute! Time to make cookies. =)

redeemed diva said...

Yes, the computer can be quite addicting...and so can blogs. I tend to go in a ebb and flow cycle. I'll be on and off in 30 minutes for a few weeks and then I'll start blog hunting and be on the computer for awhile.

Brambleberry said...

Ah!! You are such a kindred spirit! I totally wish we were neighbors! :)

Jenny said...

good thoughts holls...I really want to hear what you have to say about using conflict to deepen relationships, because I think that rings so true....

Sissy said...

Pam was the receptionist at Dunder Mifflin on the tv show, the Office. She answered the phone that way, and I guess I think of my comments as little phone messages, like voicemail. Not everyone catches the joke, though! LOL.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

love this post! am struggling with this very issue.

Anonymous said...

Totally love this article. I just posted it on my blog and said adios to my iNet (internet) addiction.

Christine said...

I think that I may have to take you great advice!

crystal.cattle said...

Great advice. I have started to do this at work. A big part of my job is social media, but I am limiting myself to it still, otherwise it consumes my day. Now I just need to take your advice and use it during my personal Internet time.

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

sara said...

I am reading your "guide to staying off the internet.."

I TOTALLY agree with you! I hate facebook for sure. I love blogging, tho and have to set limits for myself. It has totally gotten out of hand in out country and everywhere!